Home News SSANU, NASU Threaten Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salaries, Give FG 3-Week Ultimatum
News

SSANU, NASU Threaten Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salaries, Give FG 3-Week Ultimatum

752

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU) have warned that they will go on an indefinite strike if the Federal Government does not pay their outstanding salaries within three weeks.

This warning came in a joint statement by SSANU President, Mohammed Ibrahim, and NASU General Secretary, Prince Peters Adeyemi. The unions said they had already given the government a 10-day grace period, which expired on July 26, 2024, but their demands were not met.

They are now giving a final three weeks ultimatum starting September 17, 2024. If the government fails to act, universities across the country and inter-university centres may be shut down indefinitely, the statement said.

Among their demands are the payment of four months’ withheld salaries, better wages, earned allowances, and the full implementation of an agreement made in 2009. The unions accused the government of neglecting these issues despite multiple ultimatums and previous discussions.

The government had earlier implemented a “No Work, No Pay” policy after a prolonged strike by university-based unions in 2022. However, President Bola Tinubu, after a meeting with labour leaders, approved the release of the unpaid salaries in July 2024. Despite this, the unions said no payments have been made, leading to their renewed threat of strike action.

Read: FG Threatens Jail Term for Private Employers Paying Below N70,000 as States Remain Silent on Minimum Wage

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsSportsWorld

Super Eagles Land in Pot A for AFCON 2027 Draw

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have been placed in Pot A for the 2027...

NewsPoliticsWorld

Peter Obi Becomes NDC’s Sole Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

The Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has closed the sale of Expression of...

HealthNewsWorld

Congo Ebola Deaths Hit 131 With Over 500 Suspected Cases

The death toll from the latest Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic...

NewsTravelWorld

Togo Becomes Sixth African Country to Grant Visa Free Access to All Africans

Togo has announced the immediate removal of visa requirements for nationals of...