Home News Peter Obi Blames Fuel Scarcity on Government Incompetence, Demands NNPCL Transparency
News

Peter Obi Blames Fuel Scarcity on Government Incompetence, Demands NNPCL Transparency

1.1k
Obi to protest leaders

The 2023 presidential candidate for the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has called on Nigerians to demand transparency from the federal government regarding the operations of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL).

Obi made the call in a series of tweets on his X account on Tuesday, stating that the NNPCL has so far presented conflicting reports to Nigerians on subsidy, leaving them in the dark about the true state of affairs at NNPCL.

Obi’s remarks follow ongoing fuel shortages that have caused long lines at fuel stations and widespread hardship across the country.

Recall that the NNPCL recently admitted to owing foreign suppliers more than $6bn for products, which many blame for the recurring fuel shortages.

Obi questioned how a company that declared a profit of N3 trillion in 2023 could now claim to be facing “financial constraints” in supplying fuel.

He said:

“Nigerians must stop at nothing in demanding transparency in government operations, especially critical agencies like the state-owned NNPCL, whose activities appear to be shrouded in secrecy.

“The conflicting reports on subsidy payments have left Nigerians in the dark, unsure of what is happening in this all-important company. It is very curious that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), which declared a N3 trillion profit in 2023, is coming up with a bizarre claim of “financial constraints” in supplying fuel.”

He said the fuel scarcity crisis, characterised by endless queues and untold hardship, directly results from the government’s ineptitude.

He further added that the NNPCL is seeking external operators for its refineries. In contrast, the $20 billion Dangote Refinery and other Modular Refineries’ struggles to secure crude oil supply is further proof of the government’s gross incompetence.

“The Nigerian people deserve better,” Obi said.

Read More:

About The Author

Related Articles

FinanceNewsWorld

Ghana Mineworkers Demand Release of $34.5 Million in Savings Frozen Since 2017 Bank Clean-Up

Ghana’s mineworkers have petitioned the central bank to release more than 380...

News

Kangimi Dam Cracks Worsen Under Tinubu After Years of Warnings and Neglect by Past Governments

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has raised an urgent alarm over...

NewsSports

Gusau Begs FIFA to Save NFF as Government Moves to Sack Board Over String of Failures

NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau has written to FIFA, appealing to the...

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...