Home News Nigerian Defence Headquarters denies coup claims
NewsSecurity

Nigerian Defence Headquarters denies coup claims

1.2k
Nigerian Defence

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has denied claims of an impending coup on the Nigerian government. 

In a press release on its X handle on Monday, the army headquarters said the coup allegations published by SaharaReporters on Sunday, February 25, were false and unfounded. 

The statement signed by the acting Director of Defence Information, Brig GenTurkur Gusau, added that the Guards Brigade had been saddled with protecting the Presidency and the Federal Capital Territory; therefore, it had always been on high alert.

He reiterated the commitment of the armed forces to protecting our democracy and condemned the rumour making rounds.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to categorically state that the allegation is totally false. For the avoidance of doubt, the Guards Brigade has been statutorily assigned the responsibility of protecting the seat of power (The Presidency) and, by extension the Federal Capital Territory and its environs. Hence, it is to be noted that the Guards Brigade has always been on high alert to execute its assigned tasks effectively.”

The DHQ said it would pursue legal redress over the issue, which created “unnecessary tension in the country.”

Read more: Court Sets March 19 for Ruling on Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail Request

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...

HealthNews

Tinubu Government’s Indifference to Nigerian Lives Laid Bare as Counterfeit Alcohol Poisons and Kills

A health crisis is quietly claiming Nigerian lives, but the government appears...

FinanceNewsPolitics

Tinubu’s IPPIS Was Meant to Kill Ghost Workers, Instead It Paid N941 Million to People Who Don’t Exist

President Bola Tinubu approved a comprehensive audit of the Integrated Personnel and...

NewsTravelWorld

Ghana and Russia Sign First Visa Waiver Agreement Since Bilateral Relations Began in 1958

Ghana and Russia have signed their first-ever visa waiver agreement, covering holders...