Home News Niger Republic restricts flights to and from Nigeria
NewsPoliticsSecurity

Niger Republic restricts flights to and from Nigeria

1.3k

The Niger Republic military government, led by Abdourahamane Tchiani, has announced an air restriction on flights to and from Nigeria. 

A memo obtained via X today revealed that the restriction was placed on February 6, 2024. Written in French and English, it said the Niger airspace is “opened to all national and international commercial flights from ground to unlimited except for Nigerian flights to or from Nigeria.”

Airspace was also closed for all military operations and other special flights unless permission was obtained from competent authorities before the time of the said flight.  

The restriction on Nigerian flights came after President Bola Tinubu, in his capacity as the ECOWAS leader, attempted a military invasion of Niger last year before Investigative Journalist David Hundeyin disclosed the plans forcing him to back down.  

Before the planned invasion, the Tinubu-led government had cut down the electricity it supplied to the country. It closed its borders, all in a bid to force the military in Niger to back down from its takeover. 

The failed invasion led to an alliance between the military leaders of Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger Republic, all of which are currently under military rule. The three West African countries had announced their exit from the ECOWAS.  

Tchiani came into office following a coup that overthrew President Mohamed Bazoum on July 26. 2023.    

About The Author

Related Articles

FinanceNewsWorld

Ghana Mineworkers Demand Release of $34.5 Million in Savings Frozen Since 2017 Bank Clean-Up

Ghana’s mineworkers have petitioned the central bank to release more than 380...

News

Kangimi Dam Cracks Worsen Under Tinubu After Years of Warnings and Neglect by Past Governments

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has raised an urgent alarm over...

NewsSports

Gusau Begs FIFA to Save NFF as Government Moves to Sack Board Over String of Failures

NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau has written to FIFA, appealing to the...

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...