Home News Maryland Residents served Notices before Demolition – Lagos State Govt
NewsPolitics

Maryland Residents served Notices before Demolition – Lagos State Govt

791
Maryland Residents served Notices before Demolition - Lagos State Govt

Lagos State Government, through the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, said that property owners whose buildings hindered the flow of drainage in Mende, at Maryland environs, were served notices before demolition from the system 1 Drainage Right of Way.

The Commissioner, Wahab, disclosed this during his interview appearance on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, stating,

The structures were removed to avoid the flooding of the whole of the Mainland.

While the interviewer asked questions regarding the ‘requisite notices’ not being served, Commissioner Wahab responded, stating the residents had met with government representatives before demolition.

They claimed they were not served notices. They were served. They had come for meetings several times. The residents’ association had met with the Permanent Secretary, Engr Mahmood Adekunle Adegbite, several times in my office. So, on what basis were they having meetings if they were not served? Wahab responded.

He further states,

The first notices were served on them in 2021. Each property owner on Systems 1 was duly written to remove their encumbrances because they were sitting on Systems 1. That led to engagements with my predecessor in office, Mr Tunji Bello.

Also, on assumption of office last year, his administration wrote the residents because “these properties were sitting on Systems 1 Right of Way, that is Odo Iya Alaro Right of Way,” he reiterated.

Towards the end of the interview, Commissioner Wahab further stated that some decisions are painful, but harsh choices must be taken to govern well.

He was, however, mute about possible compensation for residents of the affected buildings in Mende, Maryland environs.

Read: Adverse Heat Due To Subsidy Removal – Katsina Stakeholders

About The Author

Written by
Mayowa Durosinmi

M. Durosinmi is a West Africa Weekly investigative reporter covering Politics, Human Rights, Health, and Security in West Africa and the Sahel Region

Related Articles

NewsSecurity

Malian Army Says Dozens of Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Segou Region

Mali’s armed forces say they have killed about twenty suspected militants during...

EducationNews

Nigeria Approves 33 New Universities While Education Quality and Jobs Remain in Crisis

Nigeria has approved 33 new universities, bringing the total number of sanctioned...

NewsTechnologyWorld

Gabon Suspends Social Media “Until Further Notice” Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has announced the suspension of social media platforms nationwide,...

NewsPoliticsWorld

Niger’s Tiani Visits Algeria in Bid to Strengthen Ties and Revive Key Projects

Abdourahamane Tiani, Niger’s head of state, is on an official visit to...