Home Health Gaza: Malnutrition, Dehydration Kill 34 Amid Israeli Bombardment – UN
HealthNews

Gaza: Malnutrition, Dehydration Kill 34 Amid Israeli Bombardment – UN

285
Gaza Malnutrition Dehydration UN

UN World Health Organisation (WHO) spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic has reported on Tuesday that 34 people have died in Gaza from malnutrition and dehydration due to the ongoing Israeli bombardment, which began after Hamas-led terror attacks on October 7.

Jasarevic said Kamal Adwan Hospital in Northern Gaza identified 60 cases of severe acute malnutrition last week.

“Malnutrition is definitely one of the factors that reduce the immunity, especially of the vulnerable population, elderly and children, who then can’t really cope with any disease, any pathogen that they can get,” he said, describing a vicious circle of insufficient food, clean water, sanitation, and health services.

He praised health workers who returned to their facilities once they felt secured enough to try and get vital services running again.

Out of Gaza’s 36 hospitals, only 13 are “partially functioning, he said.

Meanwhile, the UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA) reported that hundreds of Gazans sought help at a newly reopened health centre in Khan Younis, which had been forced to close for six months after it was severely damaged due to heavy fighting.

The UNRWA Japanese Health Centre in Khan Younis offers primary healthcare services and houses a pharmacy and medical staff who had previously fled as fighting and Israeli tanks rolled through the streets outside.

People in Gaza desperately need healthcare, but only a fraction of UNRWA health centres are operational due to the ongoing military operations and damage and destruction of UNRWA facilities,” UNRWA Senior Communications Officer, Louise Wateridge said, stating that less than one-third of health centres are operational.

On its first day back up and running, 33 medical staff reported for duty and supported more than 900 patients seeking treatment, she added.

Read more: Russian Court Orders Arrest of Yulia Navalnaya, Widow of Putin’s Critic

About The Author

Related Articles

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern...

National Grid collapses
News

Despite Grid Collapses in the Last 2 Years, Minister of Power, Adelabu Claims 2,000MW Increase in Generation

Despite recurring national grid collapses in the past two years, the Minister...

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...