Home Health Flood: Borno State Declares Cholera Outbreak, Records 451 Suspected Cases 
HealthNews

Flood: Borno State Declares Cholera Outbreak, Records 451 Suspected Cases 

302
Flood Borno Cholera Outbreak

The Borno State Government has declared an outbreak of cholera, with 451 suspected cases reported across several local government areas. The Commissioner for Health, Professor Baba Mallam Gana, announced this during a press briefing in Maiduguri.

Gana explained that cholera is a highly contagious disease, usually transmitted through contaminated food or water. The incubation period ranges from 2 to 5 days. He attributed the outbreak to the recent floods that devastated parts of Borno State, displacing millions of people and damaging essential health infrastructure.

According to the commissioner, local government areas affected by the outbreak include Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC), Jere, Konduga, Mafa, and Monguno. Although 451 suspected cases have been reported, only 17 have been confirmed positive.

He said that the floods created conditions, such as poor sanitation, limited access to clean water, and overcrowding, especially in Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps, that increased the risk of cholera.

Gana called on government agencies, ministries, and humanitarian organisations to collaborate in controlling the outbreak.

Despite the rise in cases, no deaths have been reported so far, and efforts to contain the outbreak are ongoing, he said.

Read More:

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...

A group of suspected herdsmen attacked operatives of the Amotekun Corps at Igogba in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State in a violent clash on Friday.
FinanceNewsTravel

Amotekun Rescues 28 Ghanaians from Visa Scam Syndicate in Ondo

Operatives of the Ondo State Security Network, known as Amotekun Corps, have...

Burkinabè Army
NewsSecurity

Burkinabè Army Kills Terrorist Leader Khalidou in Targeted Strike

The Burkinabè army has eliminated terrorist leader Khalidou in a precision airstrike,...

Natasha Petition Recall
News

Recall Petition Against Senator Natasha Fails to Meet Constitutional Requirement – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the petition seeking...