Home Business Commuters Say Niger Republic Has Begun Restricting Travellers with Only ECOWAS Passport
BusinessNews

Commuters Say Niger Republic Has Begun Restricting Travellers with Only ECOWAS Passport

401

Niger Republic has started imposing restrictions on Nigerians using the ECOWAS passport, requiring a valid international passport for entry. The restriction follows its withdrawal from the regional bloc.

Although the border remains open, stricter immigration rules are reportedly being implemented for traders and commuters. Travellers without Niger’s new national passport also face restrictions at major crossings, including Illela-Konni, according to a Punch report.

Alhaji Mansur Abdullah, a frequent trader on the route, said ECOWAS passports were no longer accepted.

They have started harassing us at the border. Some of our people have been sent back. We heard that a new passport is now required to enter Niger,” he said.

A source in Taiwan, a state in Niger Republic, confirmed that border officials now insist on their national passport. This has made travel harder for those relying on ECOWAS documents.

Some of our people have already been sent home. The authorities insist on their own national passport, making it difficult for traders and travellers,” he explained.

Some commercial drivers say security officials are exploiting the situation. Despite the restrictions, some traders say business is still running. Alhaji Nuhu Abubakar, a trader in Illela, said the border remains open on both sides. When contacted by media, the bloc’s Head of Communication, Joel Ahofodji, said ECOWAS was unaware of Niger’s new policy.

Niger, Burkina Faso, and Mali officially left ECOWAS on 29 January 2024. Since then, they have moved to strengthen cooperation under the Confederation of Sahel States (CSS). The CSS introduced a regional passport on 29 January 2025, allowing citizens of the three countries to travel within their bloc. While ECOWAS passports remain valid until expiration, new CSS passports will gradually replace them.

The confederation has also announced plans to create a Regional Investment Bank and launch significant infrastructure projects. These decisions were made at a ministerial meeting in Bamako on 16 January 2025. With Niger enforcing new entry rules, the country appears to be asserting its sovereignty and reducing ECOWAS influence over its internal affairs.

Read More:

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

NewsSecurity

Burkinabè Army Kills Terrorist Leader Khalidou in Targeted Strike

The Burkinabè army has eliminated terrorist leader Khalidou in a precision airstrike,...

Natasha Petition Recall
News

Recall Petition Against Senator Natasha Fails to Meet Constitutional Requirement – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the petition seeking...

USAID Missions
FinanceNewsWorld

Trump Imposes Tariffs on Nigeria, Other African Nations

The United States has imposed a 14 per cent tariff on Nigerian...

Niger
News

Niger Transitional Govt. Frees 49 Political and Military Figures, Ex-President Bazoum Remains in Detention

Niger’s Transitional Government announced on Tuesday that it had released 49 individuals,...