Home Health Breaking News: Anthrax Claims Lives of 17 People in Uganda
HealthNews

Breaking News: Anthrax Claims Lives of 17 People in Uganda

1.6k

As reported by AFP on Thursday, a local official said “the situation is under control” after at least 17 people died of anthrax in a southern Ugandan county in November.

Dr. Edward Muwanga, the area’s health officer, told AFP that “17 people died” from anthrax in November in the Kyotera region of southern Uganda, around 180 kilometers from the capital Kampala. They “are suspected of having eaten meat from the farm where the animals had contracted the disease”, he went on to say.

“We are working with teams from the Ministry of Health in Kampala and the World Health Organisation (WHO) who are on the ground to help contain the situation and it is under control,” Mr. Muwanga told reporters.

The Bacillus anthracis bacterium, which has lived in the form of spores for decades in an area where they buried animals who died of anthrax or previously transmitted the illness, is transmissible to humans and possibly lethal in its rarest forms.

Read: Growing Concerns Surround the Respiratory Illness in China

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

FinanceNewsWorld

Ghana Mineworkers Demand Release of $34.5 Million in Savings Frozen Since 2017 Bank Clean-Up

Ghana’s mineworkers have petitioned the central bank to release more than 380...

News

Kangimi Dam Cracks Worsen Under Tinubu After Years of Warnings and Neglect by Past Governments

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has raised an urgent alarm over...

NewsSports

Gusau Begs FIFA to Save NFF as Government Moves to Sack Board Over String of Failures

NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau has written to FIFA, appealing to the...

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...