Home News Atiku Berates Tinubu’s Administration for Failing to Honour Late National Flag Creator with Promised State Burial
News

Atiku Berates Tinubu’s Administration for Failing to Honour Late National Flag Creator with Promised State Burial

361

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has expressed disappointment in the Tinubu administration for failing to accord Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi, the designer of Nigeria’s national flag, the state burial he was promised after his passing.

Atiku, in a post on X, described Akinkunmi as a patriot whose contribution to the nation deserved the highest honour.

“I am immensely disheartened that the Federal Government under Tinubu’s administration has failed to bestow upon the late Michael Akinkunmi, the creator of our national flag, the state burial he was so rightfully promised,” Atiku said.

“No other patriot embodies the spirit of honour and sacrifice as profoundly as the revered ‘Mr. Flag Man.'”

Akinkunmi, who passed away at 87 last year, was expected to receive a state burial after a motion sponsored by a senator was approved.

However, despite the promises, no plans were ever made. The family, after months of waiting, decided to forgo the arrangement as there had been no follow-up communication from the government.

According to the late designer’s son, the family has been paying 2,000 naira ($1.30; £1.00) daily to keep his body in a morgue, hoping that the Federal Government would fulfil its promise.

“In June, we were informed that the National Institute for Cultural Orientation (NICO) had been directed to organise the state funeral, but after one phone call, we never heard from them again,” he said.

Feeling that waiting any longer would tarnish his father’s name, the family accepted an offer from the Oyo State government to fund his burial, which is scheduled to take place in Oyo this week.

Read More:

About The Author

Related Articles

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern...

National Grid collapses
News

Despite Grid Collapses in the Last 2 Years, Minister of Power, Adelabu Claims 2,000MW Increase in Generation

Despite recurring national grid collapses in the past two years, the Minister...

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...