Home News Rivers State Governor, Fubara, to probe Wike’s Administration
NewsPolitics

Rivers State Governor, Fubara, to probe Wike’s Administration

752
Rivers State Governor, Fubara

The Rivers State governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced the decision to probe the former governor and current FCT Minister, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike.

Fubara’s decision followed the one-year political crisis that ensued when Wike’s loyalists attempted to remove Fubara as governor of Rivers State.

We will set up a panel of inquiry on governance in Rivers State, said Fubara.

Mr Fubara disclosed this on Monday while presiding over the swearing-in of Dagogo Israel Iboroma into his cabinet as the new Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice for Rivers State.

The swearing-in occurred following the rigorous screening of Iboroma in replacement of the former state Justice Commissioner, Zacchaeus Adangor, who resigned in April after being redeployed to the Ministry of Special Duties due to a government reshuffle.

He said, “So, my brother, Dagogo Iboroma, you will be the brand new Attorney-General of our dear State. SSG, give him his letter. He is the Attorney-General.

“Why are we bringing you at this very critical time? We have a lot of issues around us. We believe that you are not going to be the one that when they send service to you, you go and file “nolle prosequi” (voluntary withdrawal) or you go and file one thing that would kill us here.”

However, recall in 2013, the Civil Society Network Against Corruption (CSNAC) lodged a petition with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), urging them to investigate Wike over serious allegations of corrupt practices, particularly involving his then-Minister of Education, Ruqayyatu Rufai.

According to the petition, Wike allegedly coerced principals of federal government colleges nationwide to remit 40%, an increment from 15% of their allocated funds.

Meanwhile, Fubara stated during the swearing-in that he thought the political crisis he considered a problem within a family would have been resolved but regretted that no progress had been made.

Read: British Man Dies, Dozens Injured as Singapore Airlines Flight Hit by Severe Turbulence

About The Author

Written by
Mayowa Durosinmi

M. Durosinmi is a West Africa Weekly investigative reporter covering Politics, Human Rights, Health, and Security in West Africa and the Sahel Region

Related Articles

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern...

National Grid collapses
News

Despite Grid Collapses in the Last 2 Years, Minister of Power, Adelabu Claims 2,000MW Increase in Generation

Despite recurring national grid collapses in the past two years, the Minister...

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...