Home News Tinubu Fast-Tracks Key Highway Projects with Immediate Funding Release
News

Tinubu Fast-Tracks Key Highway Projects with Immediate Funding Release

Qatar denies business and investment forum request by Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has directed the immediate release of funds to expedite the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano and Lagos-Ibadan highway projects, including two bypasses on the Second Niger Bridge.

The announcement came from the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, on Thursday, Jan. 25, during an inspection tour of the Lafia bypass road and the “dualization” of the 9th Mile (Enugu)-Otukpo-Makurdi road project in Makurdi. Umahi highlighted that this funding directive from the president would eliminate any barriers to the timely completion of these projects.

The 260-kilometre road project is a joint venture, primarily financed by the Export-Import Bank of Nigeria (85%), with the federal government contributing the remaining 15%. Umahi, after inspecting the Mararaba-Keffi reconstruction and expansion project, mentioned that the project, undertaken by China Harbour Nigeria Limited, is expected to be completed in the next 48 months.

Umahi, a former governor of Ebonyi State, expressed optimism about the projects, thanking President Tinubu for resolving funding issues and ensuring progress on the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano highway, the Lagos-Ibadan highway, and the Second Niger Bridge bypasses.

“We want to assure you that from today, things will be happening, you will be happy with the progress,” Umahi said. “I want to thank Mr. President that about three days ago, he approved that work should immediately commence in many sections of the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano.

“It is cheering news for me because we were having some problems with funding, but the president has solved the problem and directed for the immediate release of funds so that the road will continue.

“It’s the same thing with the Lagos-Ibadan highway and the second Niger Bridge two bypasses,” the minister added.

Umahi also thanked the governors of Benue and Enugu States, Hyacinth Alia and Peter Mbah, for their roles in establishing taskforce committees to ensure security at the project sites. Umahi went on to emphasise the importance of a flyover at the start of the road project to alleviate traffic congestion and improve the commuters’ convenience.

Governor Alia, who joined the minister at the project site, lauded President Tinubu for fast-tracking the project, noting the significant reduction in travel time from Abuja to Makurdi, which benefits business and planning for those using the route.

The governor said, “From Abuja to Makurdi, the journey was four and a half hours but with this new road, it takes us three hours. That is going to help our businesses and help us to plan on plying on the route. We thank you for the pains you have taken for being here yourself.”

Governor Alia assured that the state would continue to support and collaborate with the federal government for the smooth progress of the project.

 

About The Author

Related Articles

Bayer Leverkusen
NewsSports

Bayer Leverkusen win first Bundesliga title after 120-years

Bayer Leverkusen secured their first-ever Bundesliga trophy in their 120-year history, toppling...

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has announced a significant breakthrough in its ongoing investigation into financial misappropriation within the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.
News

EFCC Recovers $445,000, N3 Billion in Ongoing Probe of Humanitarian Affairs Ministry

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has announced a significant breakthrough...

Disco: For the umpteenth time, Nigeria's national grid collapses again
News

For the umpteenth time, Nigeria’s national grid collapses

Africa’s most prosperous oil-producing country, Nigeria, has been thrown into yet another...