Home News NNPC Vows To Revive Abandoned LNG Projects After Past Failed Promises
News

NNPC Vows To Revive Abandoned LNG Projects After Past Failed Promises

1.2k

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL) has pledged to revive the Olokola and the Brass Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) projects, both worth $28.9 million.

This pledge is coming after various failed promises by the NNPC and the federal government to revive the same projects in the past.

The Olokola LNG project was conceived by the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo, to diversify Nigeria’s oil and gas investments, and boost energy sources.

The Brass LNG project was initiated in 2006 as a joint venture between the NNPC with 49 per cent, and Italian oil firm Eni , French energy giant Total and ConocoPhillips. However, successive administrations after Obasanjo stalled the project.

Last year, the NNPC said it was in talks with some offshore investors to resuscitate both projects in order to meet local and international demands for LNG. But nothing was heard of the negotiations afterward.

On Thursday, the NNPC promised to revive them again, saying it was  discussing with investors.

The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of NNPC, Umar Ajiya, disclosed this at the 2024 Gas Technology Conference and Exhibition (Gastech) in Houston, United States, on Thursday.

In the past, gas prices went down, the economics of the projects meant a high Capital Expenditure (CAPEX), and this was a dis-incentive for investors and partners. Also, there was slow decision-making by the political class,” Ajiya said

Read: Governor Peter Mbah’s Petrol Station Set on Fire by Arsonists, No Casualties Reported

About The Author

Related Articles

FinanceNewsWorld

Ghana Mineworkers Demand Release of $34.5 Million in Savings Frozen Since 2017 Bank Clean-Up

Ghana’s mineworkers have petitioned the central bank to release more than 380...

News

Kangimi Dam Cracks Worsen Under Tinubu After Years of Warnings and Neglect by Past Governments

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has raised an urgent alarm over...

NewsSports

Gusau Begs FIFA to Save NFF as Government Moves to Sack Board Over String of Failures

NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau has written to FIFA, appealing to the...

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...