Home Politics Guinea-Bissau President Embaló Announces Decision Not Run For Second Term
PoliticsWorld

Guinea-Bissau President Embaló Announces Decision Not Run For Second Term

305
Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Cissoko Embaló.

Guinea-Bissau’s President, Umaro Embaló, has announced he will not run for a second term.

Speaking to the press after a Council of Ministers meeting on Wednesday, Embaló, 51, revealed that the decision came after a discussion with his wife.

“A few days ago, I was talking to my wife on the plane, and she told me that I would not run for a second term. I asked her why, and she told me that I do not deserve all the situations being fabricated against me,” the ex-army general said. “Yesterday, Tuesday, I told her I would not run for my second term.”

The president’s term is set to end in 2025. Legislative elections are scheduled for November 24, 2024, though the date for the next presidential election has not been set.

Embaló, who took office in 2020 after a disputed election, also ruled out several rival politicians as potential successors. He asserted that neither his closest opposition, Domingos Pereira, Nuno Nabiam, nor Braima Camará, would replace him, stating that Guinea-Bissau needs better-prepared leaders than current political figures.

Embaló defeated Pereira with 54 per cent of the votes in the 2020 presidential election. Before that, he served as prime minister under the erstwhile president of Guinea-Bissau, Jose Vaz. Since assuming the presidential position, Embaló said there have been two attempts to overthrow him, the latest happening in December last year.

When asked about the recent seizure of 2,633 kilogrammes of drugs at Bissau’s international airport, Embaló declined to comment. He instead told the press to ask him about his recent diplomatic visits to China, Vietnam, and the United Arab Emirates.

“This is more important than these drug seizure theatres.”

Read: Armed Bandits Block Gusau-Funtua Highway in Zamfara, Kidnap Several Travellers

Edo Election: PDP Refuses To Sign Peace Accord with Major Opposition Parties

South Africa To Submit Genocide ‘Facts, Evidence’ Against Israel At ICJ

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsWorld

Nigerian U.S. Embassy and ICIR Cancel Training on “Foreign Influence” in Nigeria After WAW’s Report, Trump’s Foreign Policy Shift

A controversial U.S.-funded media training programme in Nigeria through the International Centre...

Rivers Administrator first appointment
NewsPolitics

Tinubu’s Sole Administrator in Rivers State Suspends All Political Officeholders

The Rivers State Sole Administrator, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.), has ordered...

Natasha Petition Recall
NewsPolitics

Natasha’s Recall: INEC Confirms Receipt Of Petitioners’ Contact Address, Other Details Despite Fraudulent Process

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed the receipt of contact...