Home News #EdoDecides: INEC Absence Delays Voting in PDP Candidate’s Polling Unit
News

#EdoDecides: INEC Absence Delays Voting in PDP Candidate’s Polling Unit

266

Eligible voters in Ewohimi, particularly at Okaegben Ward 1, Polling Units 3 and 15, were unable to cast their votes as of 10:30 a.m. due to the absence of officials from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) at the polling centers.

The affected units include the polling centre of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Asue Ighodalo, who is expected to vote there.

Concerned voters expressed their frustrations over the delay, which they fear could disrupt the voting process in the ongoing Edo governorship election.

Mr. Christopher Adoghe, a voter, noted that INEC officials and voting materials were yet to arrive at Polling Unit 3, the designated voting location for the PDP candidate.

This is past 10 a.m., and up till now, we have not seen INEC officials and materials in Polling Unit 3 where the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate is expected to vote, Adoghe said.

He added that several polling units across Ewohimi were facing the same issue, with no sign of INEC officials.

Adoghe lamented the situation, pointing out that elderly voters had been left waiting in the rain without any update on when the voting would commence.

Similarly, Mr Monday Victor, another voter and an elderly man, voiced his concerns, urging the INEC chairman to deploy officials to the affected polling units swiftly. “The delay is worrying, and INEC needs to act fast to ensure everyone can exercise their voting rights,” Victor stressed.

Recall West Africa Weekly earlier reported that Edo State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Anugbum Onuoha, told political parties and the public he would be impartial in conducting the gubernatorial election, despite concerns raised over his familial ties to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike.

Wike had recently declared that he would not support Governor Obaseki or Ighodalo in the election, labelling Obaseki an “ingrate” after their previous political alliance ended in disappointment.

NAN

Read More:

Meta Suspends African Stream’s Backup Account on Instagram

Guinea-Bissau Judicial Police Burns 2,633kg of Cocaine Seized on Arrival at Bissau Airport

 

About The Author

Related Articles

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern...

National Grid collapses
News

Despite Grid Collapses in the Last 2 Years, Minister of Power, Adelabu Claims 2,000MW Increase in Generation

Despite recurring national grid collapses in the past two years, the Minister...

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...