Home News DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  
News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

49
M23 Rebels withdrawn from Walikale

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The group described the withdrawal as a goodwill gesture but warned it could reverse the move if Congolese forces continued attacks. The two sides are expected to meet in Doha, Qatar, on April 9 for their first direct negotiations.

Walikale is on a key road linking four eastern provinces and is rich in minerals like tin. M23 had pledged to withdraw last month but was delayed amid accusations that the Congolese army had broken its promises. The group claimed government forces failed to remove attack drones from the area.

Two residents and a local official told Reuters that M23 fighters had left the town. Congolese army spokesperson Sylvain Ekenge confirmed the withdrawal and said troops from the national army are now in control.

If the forces of the Kinshasa regime continue their provocations or attacks on civilians in the liberated areas and on our positions, this gesture of goodwill will automatically be cancelled, and we will eliminate the threat at its source,” M23 spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka said in a statement on X.

Doctors Without Borders warned this week that civilians and medical staff were trapped in Walikale due to the fighting. They also said that essential supplies were running dangerously low.

Since January, M23 has captured several towns in North and South Kivu. Although the Congolese army is backed by troops from Uganda, Burundi, and South Africa, it has struggled to regain lost ground.

According to a Reuters report, sources from both camps have confirmed that the Doha talks are still on track. A Congolese government official said the meeting would proceed unless the other side defaults, while an M23 source confirmed the group would present its demands. Both parties have agreed not to reveal the details of the talks.

Read More: Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

China Imposes 34% Tariff on U.S. Goods in Retaliation to Trump’s Trade Policy

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

NYSC Reforms
NewsPolitics

NYSC DG Calls For Reforms, Not Scrapping Of The Scheme 

The Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brigadier General Olakunle...

Senate Will Approve Use of Taxpayers' Money for Presidential Jet on Tinubu's Request — Akpabio
News

Federal High Court Stops Akpabio, Natasha from Granting Media Interviews

The Federal High Court in Abuja has restrained Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, Senate...

China imposed tariff on U.S. goods
FinanceNews

China Imposes 34% Tariff on U.S. Goods in Retaliation to Trump’s Trade Policy

China has imposed a 34 per cent retaliatory tariff on U.S. goods....

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...