Home News Don’t Protest Hardship, Bad Governance, Wait For Government’s Response – Tinubu To Nigerians
News

Don’t Protest Hardship, Bad Governance, Wait For Government’s Response – Tinubu To Nigerians

377
Tinubu bad governance protest

President Bola Tinubu has asked Nigerians to cancel the planned ‘EndBadGovernance’ protest scheduled for August 1. After a meeting with the President, Information Minister Mohammed Idris said Tinubu urged the protest organisers to wait for the government’s response to their concerns.

“The issue of the planned protest, Mr President does not see any need for that. He’s asked them to shelve that plan. He’s asked them to await the government’s response to all their pleas,” the minister said.

The nationwide protest slated for August 1, aimed at ending economic hardship and bad governance under Tinubu’s administration, is fast gaining support on social media.

Tinubu’s statement came days after the presidency said the planned massive nationwide protests by the citizens were a “civilian coup” against the government, accusing the supporters of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 general elections, Peter Obi, as the brain behind it.

While the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has urged the President to address the displeasures of the protesters, who are mainly youths, former Nigerian vice president and presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar has blasted the administration for trying to dissuade Nigerians from the planned mass protest, reaffirming citizens’ constitutional right to protest.

West Africa Weekly reported that several states, including Kano, Niger, Oyo, and Lagos, have previously protested economic hardship, food inflation, and high cost of living due to the government’s removal of petrol subsidies, unification of forex windows as well as other detrimental policies that have impacted not only the masses but businesses as well.

Read: ABUTH Resident Doctors Call Off 5-Day Strike After ‘Talks With Management’

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsWorld

Nigerian U.S. Embassy and ICIR Cancel Training on “Foreign Influence” in Nigeria After WAW’s Report, Trump’s Foreign Policy Shift

A controversial U.S.-funded media training programme in Nigeria through the International Centre...

CSS tariff
News

CSS Heads to Moscow for Strategic Consultations with Russia

The foreign ministers of the Confederation of Sahel States (CSS), comprising Burkina...

M23 Rebels
NewsSecurity

DR Congo, M23 Rebels to Hold First Direct Talks in Qatar on 9 April

The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and M23 rebels will hold their...

U-17 Africa Cup
NewsSports

CAF U-17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets Absent as Morocco Thrash Uganda in Opener

The TotalEnergies U-17 Africa Cup of Nations is underway in Morocco, and...