Home News Cape Verdean Police Records ‘Unusual’ Increase In Cybercrime Via Social Media
NewsTechnology

Cape Verdean Police Records ‘Unusual’ Increase In Cybercrime Via Social Media

323
Cape Verdean Police Records 'Unusual' Increase In Cybercrime Via Social Media
Photo: Inforpress

On Wednesday, the Cape Verdean Judicial Police (PJ) expressed concern about the increase in an “unusual” number of complaints about cybercrimes in the country in the last three months.

The Judicial Police Inspector, José Brito, disclosed this during a press conference in Praia, citing increasing complaints of illegal access to social media accounts in the last three months.

According to Inforpress, Brito said that the complaints covered ordinary citizens and public figures, indicating that the population is poorly informed or that citizens are more daring in their activities.

Upon receiving the complaint, he said it had been forwarded to the Public Prosecutor’s Office for investigation. The Inspector did not specify the number of people affected.

I cannot provide exact data, but there may or may not be a suspect in each complaint,” he stated.

Brito, however, appealed to the public to contact a family member or the police when they come across a “good or too good” offer via social media while stressing that citizens must have “a critical spirit” when they receive a dubious proposal from a supposed public figure.

We have received collaboration from Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp pages. They are great partners who, within their possibilities, have been collaborating with the PJ, and there are success stories. In general, what depends on us and them has been moving forward within the limits of cooperation”, he assured, adding that some cases are already in court.

Citing an example of cybercrimes committed through pretence on social media, Brito recounted the tenth attempt of creating fake Facebook profiles of the President, José Maria Neves, and the First Lady for fraud attempts.

In a bid to curtail the situation, the Judicial Police has issued a disclaimer on its official page, stating that “it is a criminal act that is causing most people to feel ‘insecure’ when using any social network, and warned internet users and society in general about this ‘criminal’ practice and the risks hidden behind the crime.”

Read: Just In: Minister Of Education Orders JAMB, Institutions Not To Admit Anyone Below 18

Nigerian Doctor-Patient Ratio 1000 Per Cent Below WHO Standard – NMA

About The Author

Written by
Mayowa Durosinmi

M. Durosinmi is a West Africa Weekly investigative reporter covering Politics, Human Rights, Health, and Security in West Africa and the Sahel Region

Related Articles

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...

A group of suspected herdsmen attacked operatives of the Amotekun Corps at Igogba in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State in a violent clash on Friday.
FinanceNewsTravel

Amotekun Rescues 28 Ghanaians from Visa Scam Syndicate in Ondo

Operatives of the Ondo State Security Network, known as Amotekun Corps, have...

Burkinabè Army
NewsSecurity

Burkinabè Army Kills Terrorist Leader Khalidou in Targeted Strike

The Burkinabè army has eliminated terrorist leader Khalidou in a precision airstrike,...

Natasha Petition Recall
News

Recall Petition Against Senator Natasha Fails to Meet Constitutional Requirement – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the petition seeking...