Home Food Burkina Faso Seizes and Destroys Over 14 Tons of Spoiled Fish in Operation to Ensure Food Safety
FoodNews

Burkina Faso Seizes and Destroys Over 14 Tons of Spoiled Fish in Operation to Ensure Food Safety

1k

Authorities in Burkina Faso have seized and destroyed 14.7 tons of fish unfit for consumption in an operation carried out on March 7, 2025, at the Yimdi site in Ouagadougou. The Directorate of Veterinary Public Health and Legislation (DSPVL) led the operation as part of efforts to ensure food safety.

Aboubacar Nacro, Director General of Veterinary Services, said the spoiled fish had been fraudulently imported. The seized products were later processed into organic fertilisers under the “Agropastoral and Fisheries Offensive 2023-2025,” a government initiative aimed at agricultural development.

The seizure was possible through collaboration between veterinary services, law enforcement, and the public. Dramane Sy Traore, head of the provincial veterinary services department of Boulkiemdé, said an anonymous tip-off enabled the provincial gendarmerie’s Mobile Intervention Brigade to intercept the goods.

Since January 2025, more than 30 tons of fish and poultry unfit for consumption have been seized and destroyed due to increased inspections. Captain Nacro commended the efforts of authorities and the public while urging importers to comply with food safety regulations to avoid sanctions.

Officials stated that these operations reflect the government’s commitment to protecting public health and combating food fraud.

Read More:

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

NewsSecurity

Malian Army Says Dozens of Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Segou Region

Mali’s armed forces say they have killed about twenty suspected militants during...

EducationNews

Nigeria Approves 33 New Universities While Education Quality and Jobs Remain in Crisis

Nigeria has approved 33 new universities, bringing the total number of sanctioned...

NewsTechnologyWorld

Gabon Suspends Social Media “Until Further Notice” Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has announced the suspension of social media platforms nationwide,...

NewsPoliticsWorld

Niger’s Tiani Visits Algeria in Bid to Strengthen Ties and Revive Key Projects

Abdourahamane Tiani, Niger’s head of state, is on an official visit to...