Home News Uganda’s Ruling Party Backs 80-Year-Old President Museveni for Seventh Term in 2026 Election
News

Uganda’s Ruling Party Backs 80-Year-Old President Museveni for Seventh Term in 2026 Election

331

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni has been confirmed as the presidential candidate of the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) for the 2026 general election. The announcement paves the way for the 80-year-old to seek a seventh term and extend his nearly four-decade grip on power.

Museveni first came to power in 1986 after overthrowing Milton Obote and Tito Okello in a guerrilla war. Since then, he has become one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders. His administration has removed constitutional term and age limits, which are changes widely criticised as being tailored to keep him in office indefinitely.

Speaking at the NRM national conference on Saturday, Museveni stated that he had accepted the call to serve again. He promised to continue efforts to transform Uganda into a “high upper middle-income country”. He claimed credit for bringing stability and development to Uganda and warned against the country “missing the bus of history” as it did during the colonial era.

However, his claims of progress contrast with criticism from opposition figures and rights groups. They argue that his lengthy rule has undermined democratic institutions, weakened checks and balances, and created a climate of fear. Dissent has often been met with arrests, intimidation, and restrictions on civil liberties.

Robert Kyagulanyi, popularly known as Bobi Wine, is expected to be Museveni’s main opposition in the 2026 election. Wine contested the 2021 election and lost by 35 per cent to Museveni’s 59 per cent. The vote was marred by allegations of fraud, violence, and a military crackdown on the opposition.

In an interview with the BBC in April, Wine said he would run again if nominated by his party, the National Unity Platform (NUP). He noted that being in opposition in Uganda is increasingly dangerous.

Another opposition figure, Dr Kizza Besigye, remains in detention. He is facing treason charges, which he denies. Besigye, a former ally turned critic of Museveni, says the charges are politically motivated.

As previously reported, NRM electoral commission chairperson Tanga Odoi announced that Museveni would officially collect his expression of interest forms at the party headquarters on 28 June. This move formalises the start of his campaign for another five-year term. Uganda’s next general election is scheduled to take place in January 2026.

Read More:

About The Author

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Despite Empty Booth Setback at TICAD9, Tinubu Regime Falsely Claims Japan Approved ‘Special Visa’ for Nigerians in Kisarazu
NewsPolitics

Despite Empty Booth Setback at TICAD9, Tinubu Regime Falsely Claims Japan Approved ‘Special Visa’ for Nigerians in Kisarazu

As Nigeria’s global image struggles to recover from an avoidable embarrassment after...

Nigerian Passport
NewsTravel

Nigeria’s Passport Hike: How Rising Fees and Western Influence Are Pricing Ordinary Nigerians Out of Global Travel

Nigeria’s recent decision to raise the cost of international passports has sparked...

News

Russia Proposes Establishment Of Nuclear Power Plant in Niger

Russia has proposed building a nuclear power plant in Niger, offering broad...

Rose Gidado, Dual Regulator and Bill Gates-Funded TELA Maize Advocate, Defends GMO Safety With ‘We Won’t Poison Our Own People’
AgricultureNews

Rose Gidado, Nigeria’s GMO Regulator and TELA Maize Advocate, Defends Safety – ‘We Won’t Poison Our Own People’

Rose Gidado, Director at the Department of Agricultural Biotechnology of the National...