Home News Singapore Airlines Offer Compensation After Turbulent Flight Injuries
News

Singapore Airlines Offer Compensation After Turbulent Flight Injuries

873
SIA Compensation
Singapore Airline

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has announced it will offer $10,000 in compensation to passengers who sustained minor injuries during a turbulent flight last month. The airline said it would discuss higher payouts with those who were more severely injured.

Flight SQ321 from London Heathrow to Singapore experienced sudden extreme turbulence at 37,000 feet, resulting in a rapid descent of approximately 6,000 feet within three minutes. This incident tragically led to the death of a 73-year-old British man and caused skull, brain, and spine injuries to several other passengers and crew members.

In a statement on Tuesday, the SIA said: “For those who sustained more severe injuries, we have invited them to discuss a compensation offer to meet each of their specific circumstances when they feel well and ready to do so.

“Passengers medically assessed as having sustained serious injuries, requiring long-term medical care, and requesting financial assistance are offered an advance payment of US$25,000 to address their immediate needs.

“This will be part of the final compensation these passengers will receive,” the statement said.

The airline added that it would refund the airfares of all passengers on the flight, including those not injured, and provide delay compensation according to European Union or United Kingdom regulations.

As of Tuesday afternoon, 11 passengers were still receiving treatment in Bangkok hospitals, an SIA spokesperson said.

Under the Montreal Convention, airlines are liable for damages for passenger injuries or death during a flight.

According to the spokesperson, compensation amounts for the damages depend on the severity of each passenger’s injuries, based on medical information provided.

“We recognise that passengers with more serious injuries may require further support tailored to their circumstances,” they added.

The airline said it remains committed to supporting the affected passengers from SQ321.

Read more Diageo Sells Stakes in Guinness, Joining Multinationals Exiting Nigeria

About The Author

Related Articles

HealthNewsWorld

Nigeria’s Largest Meth Lab Bust Exposes Cartel Terror Links and Tinubu’s Government Failure

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said it has dismantled the...

NewsSecurityWorld

Three sisters found dead in sea off Brighton beach

A father has spoken of his unbearable grief after the bodies of...

NewsWorld

AES Countries Meet in Niamey to Forge Common Strategy on Ex-Combatant Reintegration

The surrender, demobilisation and reintegration of former combatants is at the heart...

NewsSecurityWorld

Mali Appoints Brigadier General Daouda Traoré as New Chief of Staff of the National Guard

Mali has appointed Brigadier General Daouda Traoré as the new Chief of...