Home News Majority Of 1,300 Dead Pilgrims ‘Unauthorised’ – Saudi Authorities
News

Majority Of 1,300 Dead Pilgrims ‘Unauthorised’ – Saudi Authorities

359
Saudi Arabia Pilgrims
Pilgrims in Saudi Arabia [Credit: BBC]

Saudi Authorities have said that the majority of the 1,300 pilgrims who died while performing hajj in the Holy Land this year were unauthorised to perform hajj.

The Saudi Health Minister Fahad bin Abdurrahman al-Jalajel stated on Sunday that 83% of those who died were not authorised to perform the ritual.

The large number of deaths in this year’s hajj was attributed to a heatwave in Mecca, where temperatures reportedly exceeded 51 degrees Celsius (124 Fahrenheit).

However, according to statements by the Saudi state news agency SPA, authorities said that most of the victims had been exposed to extreme sunlight before they got to Saudi through an illegal route.

“[They] walked long distances under the sunlight, with no adequate shelter or rest,” Jalajel was quoted to have said of the unregistered pilgrims. “They included a number of elderly and chronically sick.”

The minister insisted that this year’s hajj was “successful” despite the mounting death toll.

He added that Saudi health authorities “provided more than 465,000 specialised treatment services, including 141,000 services to those who didn’t obtain official authorisation to perform hajj.”

Read more: Daniel Ojukwu Abduction: Corruption-Linked Public Servant Demands FIJ To Pay N100 Million Or Face A N500 Million Lawsuit

About The Author

Related Articles

NYSC Reforms
NewsPolitics

NYSC DG Calls For Reforms, Not Scrapping Of The Scheme 

The Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brigadier General Olakunle...

Senate Will Approve Use of Taxpayers' Money for Presidential Jet on Tinubu's Request — Akpabio
News

Federal High Court Stops Akpabio, Natasha from Granting Media Interviews

The Federal High Court in Abuja has restrained Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, Senate...

China imposed tariff on U.S. goods
FinanceNews

China Imposes 34% Tariff on U.S. Goods in Retaliation to Trump’s Trade Policy

China has imposed a 34 per cent retaliatory tariff on U.S. goods....

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...