Home News Foreign-Backed Mercenaries Behind Deadly Agadez Attack, Niger Army Says
NewsSecurity

Foreign-Backed Mercenaries Behind Deadly Agadez Attack, Niger Army Says

1.4k
Niger World Bank

The Nigerien army has accused foreign powers of orchestrating a deadly assault on its forces in the northern Agadez region, alleging that the attackers were mercenaries recruited from Libya and paid 500,000 CFA francs each.

According to the army’s weekly operations bulletin released Monday, September 8, the attack occurred on September 2 in Abalama, targeting both a patrol and a guard post. Armed assailants in four vehicles opened fire, leaving two soldiers dead and four others wounded.

In the ensuing clashes, two of the attackers were killed while seven others were captured, due to intelligence provided by residents. Military forces seized a cache of heavy weaponry, assault rifles, ammunition, communications gear, and a vehicle from the assailants. The seized equipment was presented to regional authorities in Agadez on September 4.

The army claims the attack was “planned from Libya” and financed by a foreign power, though it did not name the state alleged to be behind the operation. While a previously little-known group has claimed responsibility, authorities maintain the assault bore the marks of external manipulation, Airinfoagadez reported.

Read Also: Four African Storytellers Chosen for AuthenticA Series Lab by The Realness Institute 

About The Author

%s Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

NewsSportsWorld

Super Eagles Land in Pot A for AFCON 2027 Draw

Nigeria’s Super Eagles have been placed in Pot A for the 2027...

NewsPoliticsWorld

Peter Obi Becomes NDC’s Sole Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

The Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has closed the sale of Expression of...

HealthNewsWorld

Congo Ebola Deaths Hit 131 With Over 500 Suspected Cases

The death toll from the latest Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic...

NewsTravelWorld

Togo Becomes Sixth African Country to Grant Visa Free Access to All Africans

Togo has announced the immediate removal of visa requirements for nationals of...