Home News N573bn: No Hue and Cry by Any Governor Should Be the Focus , Presidency Says Despite Misleading Nigerians
News

N573bn: No Hue and Cry by Any Governor Should Be the Focus , Presidency Says Despite Misleading Nigerians

324
President Bola Tinubu

The presidency has responded to the ongoing controversy surrounding the N573 billion received by states, urging that the debate should not be centred on whether the funds were a grant or a loan but rather on how the money can aid the country’s development.

This statement follows the dispute between state governors and the federal government, sparked by President Bola Tinubu’s recent national broadcast that the federal government had provided N573 billion in support to the states.

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State and Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State contradicted the President, claiming the funds were not directly from the federal government.

However, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, clarified that the funds were part of the COVID-19 livelihoods support scheme under the NG-CARES Programme, which the World Bank funds.

Ajayi emphasised that the states received financial support and that the focus should be on how these funds can improve the lives of Nigerians, not on the nature of the funding.

“The issue of whether it was a grant or a loan should not be at the centre of discussion but rather how the money can assist in the country’s development,” Ajayi stated.

“There should be no hue and cry by any governor if the objective is to serve the people and make life better for the masses.

He further explained that the World Bank facility is guaranteed by the federal government, as is required for all multilateral loans.

Ajayi dismissed the uproar from governors as unnecessary, stressing that the funds are intended to serve the people and improve their lives.

He noted that the payment in question was the second tranche of the NG-CARES Programme, with the first tranche disbursed in October or November last year.

Governor Makinde had earlier described the President’s statement as a “misrepresentation of facts,” explaining that the funds were reimbursements from the World Bank for money already spent by states under the NG-CARES Programme.

Governor Sule disclosed that the World Bank gave the loan at no interest and stated, “Nasarawa received N13.6 billion, representing over 10 per cent of the amount.”

The presidency’s response shows that the claim by the governors shows a sentiment regarding the claim earlier made by the federal government regarding the said ‘palliative’ given to governors.

Read More

About The Author

Related Articles

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

News

DR Congo: M23 Rebels Withdraw from Walikale Ahead of Peace Talks  

M23 rebels have withdrawn from Walikale, an important town in the eastern...

National Grid collapses
News

Despite Grid Collapses in the Last 2 Years, Minister of Power, Adelabu Claims 2,000MW Increase in Generation

Despite recurring national grid collapses in the past two years, the Minister...

News

Russia Backs Joint CSS Military Force, Foreign Minister Hails “Africa’s Second Awakening”

Russia has pledged to assist in forming a joint CSS military force,...