Home News Roadside Bomb Kills Six Soldiers in Somalia
News

Roadside Bomb Kills Six Soldiers in Somalia

364

According to police and local officials on Saturday, a roadside bomb set by the jihadist group Al-Shabaab killed at least six soldiers, including a senior military commander, in southern Somalia.

The explosion occurred during a routine military operation near Gofgadud town, about 30 kilometres from Baidoa.

Six soldiers, including Colonel Mohamed Dheere, died immediately, Hassan Mohamed, a military officer in Baidoa, told AFP by phone.

Several others were injured, though the exact number was not specified.

Al-Shabaab, affiliated with Al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Bombings and other assaults are common in Mogadishu and Baidoa, though there have been fewer recently.

Last week, the Somali government reported that five soldiers died in a battle where they killed nearly 50 fighters in Ceeldheer, north of Mogadishu.

Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed, the president of the Southwest state, expressed condolences to the soldiers’ families and praised Dheere’s significant role in fighting Al-Shabaab.

Dheere “played an important role in ensuring the country’s security,” Mohamed said, noting he will be “remembered” for his efforts against the Islamist group.

Al-Shabaab has been fighting against Somalia’s central government for over 16 years. Though they were ousted from the capital by an African Union force in 2011, they remain strong in rural areas. They have repeatedly attacked political, security, and civilian targets in Somalia and neighbouring countries like Kenya.

Somalia’s federal government has allied with local clan militias against the Islamists, reclaiming large areas in central Somalia with the support of the AU mission ATMIS and US airstrikes. However, the offensive has faced challenges, with Al-Shabaab claiming earlier this year to have seized multiple locations in central Somalia.

Read more: Kidnappers Abduct Fouani Co. MD, Three Lebanese Traveling By Boat

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsPolitics

NYSC DG Calls For Reforms, Not Scrapping Of The Scheme 

The Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brigadier General Olakunle...

Senate Will Approve Use of Taxpayers' Money for Presidential Jet on Tinubu's Request — Akpabio
News

Federal High Court Stops Akpabio, Natasha from Granting Media Interviews

The Federal High Court in Abuja has restrained Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, Senate...

China imposed tariff on U.S. goods
FinanceNews

China Imposes 34% Tariff on U.S. Goods in Retaliation to Trump’s Trade Policy

China has imposed a 34 per cent retaliatory tariff on U.S. goods....

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...