Home News NAFDAC Arrests Five for Selling N35 Million Counterfeit Cosmetics in Abuja
News

NAFDAC Arrests Five for Selling N35 Million Counterfeit Cosmetics in Abuja

1.1k
NAFDAC cosmetics counterfeits

The National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) in Abuja has apprehended five individuals for selling counterfeit cosmetics worth N35 million.

The arrests took place on Wednesday during a crackdown in the Garki and Wuse areas aimed at stemming the proliferation of substandard goods.

Following the enforcement operation, Mr Embugushiki-Musa Godiya, Head of Investigation and Enforcement for the Federal Taskforce at NAFDAC, spoke to reporters and confirmed that the detained individuals would undergo a thorough investigation.

He affirmed NAFDAC’s commitment to eradicating fake cosmetics and other counterfeit products from the market.

Godiya disclosed that NAFDAC had been investigating counterfeit cosmetics based on intelligence reports. He noted that some of these products had been illegally imported into the country despite border security measures.

He said, “NAFDAC is present at all the country’s ports of entry, but with the nature of our borders, these smugglers will always find ways to beat the system the government has put in place.

“That is why if they escape from the port or borders, we go to the market and all the places, gather intelligence reports, go after them, and confiscate the product for possible prosecution,” Godiya added, saying that the food and drug agency intends to continue its investigation to ascertain the extent of the suspects’ involvement.

He said following the investigation, regulatory actions, likely including prosecution, will be taken against the suspects.

Read: Gov. Sanwolu urges FG to Explore Innovation to Increase Tax Base

About The Author

Related Articles

FinanceNewsWorld

Ghana Mineworkers Demand Release of $34.5 Million in Savings Frozen Since 2017 Bank Clean-Up

Ghana’s mineworkers have petitioned the central bank to release more than 380...

News

Kangimi Dam Cracks Worsen Under Tinubu After Years of Warnings and Neglect by Past Governments

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has raised an urgent alarm over...

NewsSports

Gusau Begs FIFA to Save NFF as Government Moves to Sack Board Over String of Failures

NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau has written to FIFA, appealing to the...

NewsWorld

US Judge Rejects Tinubu’s Bid to Delay Release of DOJ Drug Files, Sets August 21 Deadline

A United States federal judge has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s request for...