Home News 2027: Automatic Presidential, Governorship Party Tickets for Obi, Otti Canceled – Abure
NewsPolitics

2027: Automatic Presidential, Governorship Party Tickets for Obi, Otti Canceled – Abure

620

Embattled Julius Abure-led faction of the Labour Party says it has revoked the automatic tickets previously reserved for the party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, ahead of the 2027 elections.

This decision was announced following the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held by the Abure faction in Abuja on Monday.

The faction’s communique revealed that all political tickets, from the presidency to state House of Assembly positions, will now be open to all qualified Nigerians.

This development comes in response to a meeting held by Obi, Otti, and other Labour Party leaders, including elected Senators and House of Representatives members, in Umuahia, Abia State, last week.

During that meeting, they appointed a 29-member caretaker committee, chaired by former Finance Minister Nenadi Usman, to oversee the party’s leadership transition over the next 90 days.

However, the Abure-led NEC, in a statement signed by Abure and National Secretary Umar Ibrahim, nullified the decisions made at the Umuahia stakeholders meeting.

The faction asserted that there was no leadership vacuum in the party, citing their March 27, 2024, National Convention held in Nnewi, Anambra State, as evidence of a valid leadership structure in accordance with the Labour Party’s constitution, the Electoral Act, and the Nigerian Constitution.

The Abure faction further accused Abia Governor Alex Otti of falsely claiming that the tenure of the party’s current officers had expired, using this assertion to justify the creation of the caretaker committee.

The faction called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Chairman, Professor Mahmud Yakubu, to stop supporting what they described as Otti’s attempts to destabilise the party.

Read More:

 

 

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsSecurity

Malian Army Says Dozens of Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Segou Region

Mali’s armed forces say they have killed about twenty suspected militants during...

EducationNews

Nigeria Approves 33 New Universities While Education Quality and Jobs Remain in Crisis

Nigeria has approved 33 new universities, bringing the total number of sanctioned...

NewsTechnologyWorld

Gabon Suspends Social Media “Until Further Notice” Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has announced the suspension of social media platforms nationwide,...

NewsPoliticsWorld

Niger’s Tiani Visits Algeria in Bid to Strengthen Ties and Revive Key Projects

Abdourahamane Tiani, Niger’s head of state, is on an official visit to...