Home Human Rights #FreePIDOMNigeria: Brother Speaks, Gives Account Of PIDOM’s Abduction
Human Rights

#FreePIDOMNigeria: Brother Speaks, Gives Account Of PIDOM’s Abduction

819
#FreePIDOMNIGERIA: Emmanuel Bristol Gives Account Of PIDOM's Abduction

Emmanuel Bristol-Alagbariya, brother to Isaac Bristol, the detained person who the Nigerian police believe is behind the famous whistleblower X account PIDOMNIGERIA, has shared the events leading to the infamous August 5th abduction.

Speaking on behalf of the Bristol family during an interview with NewsCentralTV on Sunday, Bristol-Alagbariya said PIDOM was kidnapped at his hotel room in Ijakure Town by armed men who were later found to be officers of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Rivers State Police Command.

“He was arrested on August 5th, 2024, but we learned about it after 24 hours,” Bristol-Alagbariya stated.

He said it was “quite embarrassing that our security agencies could stoop so low to deny the arrest of a just citizen.”

He added that he went to the Police Control Room and other police stations, but they claimed to know nothing about PIDOM’s abduction. He said, “The police then asked that I check with the EFCC and DSS, both of whom denied arresting him.

“We got a way to find out he was detained at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit who had earlier denied having PIDOM in custody. The unit later admitted that he had been flown to Abuja.”

Bristol-Alagbariya said they got a call from an officer identified as EY on Saturday, August 10, informing them that they had PIDOM and he needed a lawyer before issuing a statement.

It took me about four days as the lawyer arrived in Abuja on Wednesday, August 14, 2024, but PIDOM’s statement was taken on Thursday.”

He added that PIDOM was granted administrative bail of N500 million on bogus charges of terrorism and cybercrime, amongst others, on Monday, August 19, 2024.

Meanwhile, as earlier reported, PIDOM’s health has continued to deteriorate due to inhumane treatment and conditions the NPF subjected him to. Yet he is still denied his right to prove his case before a competent judge.

Read More:

About The Author

Written by
Mayowa Durosinmi

M. Durosinmi is a West Africa Weekly investigative reporter covering Politics, Human Rights, Health, and Security in West Africa and the Sahel Region

Related Articles

Human RightsNewsWorld

Zamfara’s Mass Wedding Raises Fresh Alarm About Welfare, Religion, and the Rights of the Girl Child

The Zamfara State Government has once again sponsored a mass wedding programme,...

Human RightsNews

Niger Suspends More Than 320 NGOs in Niamey Over Financial Reporting Violations

Authorities in Niger have suspended the activities of more than 320 non-governmental...

Human RightsNewsWorld

South Africa Offers Refuge to Gaza Survivors While Powering Their Oppressors With R3.3bn in Weapons

South Africa’s decision to take in 160 undocumented Palestinians fleeing Gaza has...

Human RightsNews

Five Years After EndSARS, Nigerians Urged To Light Candles In Memory Of Fallen Protesters

As Nigeria marks five years since the 2020 EndSARS protests, a coalition...