Home Politics Zuma Promises Jobs, Free Education in Launching Of Party Manifesto 
PoliticsWorld

Zuma Promises Jobs, Free Education in Launching Of Party Manifesto 

491
Jacob Zuma. Photo Credit: CNN-News18, Youtube.

Former South African President Jacob Zuma launched his new political party’s manifesto on Saturday, promising jobs and accessible education to address poverty among black South Africans.

Speaking to thousands at Orlando Stadium in Johannesburg, Zuma outlined the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party’s plans for the upcoming elections on May 29.

Zuma pledged to build factories for employment and provide free education for poor households.

We want our children to study for free, especially those from poor households because we did not create the poverty we have,” he said. “It was created by settlers who took everything, including our land. We’ll return all those things, make money and educate our children.

Zuma also vowed to amend the constitution to restore more power to traditional leaders. He criticised the current system for reducing the roles of traditional leaders by giving more powers to magistrates and judges.

Despite being forced to resign in 2018 amid corruption allegations, Zuma is making a political comeback. During his speech, he emphasised the high levels of poverty and unemployment among black South Africans, asserting that they are the reasons for the high rate of crimes across the country.

Our hunger and poverty create a perception that we are criminals. We don’t have a brain; we have nothing. That time is over because we are good people who give, but some people are pushing us towards criminality, Zuma said.

He aims for his party to secure more than 65% of the national vote in the upcoming elections to change many laws in the constitution.

The MK Party, launched in December last year, has quickly gained attention. Zuma, however, is involved in a legal battle with the Independent Electoral Commission over his eligibility to stand in the election due to his criminal record.

He was sentenced to 15 months in prison because he defied a court order to appear before a judicial commission investigating corruption during his presidency from 2009 to 2018.

About The Author

Related Articles

NewsPolitics

NYSC DG Calls For Reforms, Not Scrapping Of The Scheme 

The Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brigadier General Olakunle...

President Bola Tinubu is set to leave Abuja on Monday for a brief working visit to France, according to a statement issued by Ajuri Ngelale, the presidential spokesperson.
NewsPolitics

President Tinubu and VP Shettima Leave Official Duties, Depart for France and Senegal

President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima have departed Nigeria on...

United States tariff on Nigerian exports
FinanceNewsWorld

Trump Imposes Tariffs on Nigeria, Other African Nations

The United States has imposed a 14 per cent tariff on Nigerian...

NewsWorld

Nigerian U.S. Embassy and ICIR Cancel Training on “Foreign Influence” in Nigeria After WAW’s Report, Trump’s Foreign Policy Shift

A controversial U.S.-funded media training programme in Nigeria through the International Centre...